Let's Be Honest - Ki Tetzei 5786
If I ask you what the Torah talks about, what is your first reaction? I have asked several people this question, across the spectrum of Torah knowledge and connection. One of the typical reactions is that it is a bunch of rules. Others mention the stories. Some focus on “fire and brimstone” and punishments. Today I got a nice answer: After the initial “a bunch of restrictive laws,” he said that the Torah teaches us how to live our lives.
What I want to suggest today is that a major theme of the Torah is to be honest. You must not withhold the wages of a poor or destitute employee... You must give him his wage on his promised day—the sun must not set on it, because he is poor, and he risks his life to earn it... You must not pervert the judgment of a convert or an orphan... You must not keep two supposedly identical but different weights in your pocket: a heavy one for buying and a light one for selling... You must possess a full and correct weight and a full and correct ephah-measure, in order that you live long on the land that God, your God, is giving you.
Why be honest? Well, in this country certainly we all have rights, and I have the right to my property and to not be cheated. While some may consider cheating as a short term way to gain, in the long run it has many drawbacks, including loss of trust and reputations, and the hand of law enforcement. Just how honest do we have to be? Sometimes that is subjective, and for many if it does not feel as if I am directly hurting someone, then I will do whatever I can get away with.
The Torah teaches us that honesty is a value independent of anyone else’s rights and regardless of the perceived damage to others. As we learned in a previous Parsha - Tzedek tzedek tirdof - which can be translated as righteousness righteousness you shall pursue, or as honest honesty you shall pursue. The word “honesty” is repeated, with a connotation of “honest honesty.”
Honesty is my responsibility, not just your right. Is this a distinction without a difference? I don’t think so. What if there is a grey area? What if there is no law about this particular action, and what if there is no clearly definable victim? In a rights based society, if I am not trampling anyone’s rights then I am fine. But if my honesty is based on my responsibility to Hashem, then anything that is not in any way honest is a violation of my relationship with Him, and a detour from my purpose on earth.
The Torah is a guide for life, and it’s not just about spiritual things. In fact, the most important thing is for us to bring the holiness of Torah into the day-to-day mundane activities, because every aspect of the world is to be used to make the world a home for Hashem. And this means that we must be scrupulous about honesty, among other things, regardless of the prevailing attitudes.
Many years ago, when databases were first being developed, a person called me on a Sunday morning and asked if it is ok for him to give copies of his company’s software to someone. This was at the time when everything was on floppy disks, and it was easy to copy. “Pirating software” was still a common thing. He told me that the person had offered him $2,000 (a huge sum at that time), and that if he didn’t do it, others in the company would. We discussed honesty according to Torah, and that Hashem’s blessing is what brings us our livelihood. The work we do is a channel for Hashen’s blessing, and we want that channel to be clean and pure. To his credit he told me that he had expected me to say that, and he had called me for encouragement to withstand the test.
The next afternoon he called me. He had had had annual review with his boss that morning, and the boss told him they were very happy with his work and were giving him a bonus. The net amount of the bonus was $2,000.
Comments
Post a Comment